Deltacam.com

Deltacam forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Hello from KC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 am 

Well the engineering of the Idle circuit is almost done. 5 hours or so spent on 2 pieces of metal, and a couple of broken bits to boot. Well see for yourself.

Cut the EGR fitting off to fit the Idle Air valve.
Bolts to the EGR mount. These have to hide in between the two plates, hence the thickness of them.
Yeah, its kinda ugly and weird looking, but it works. I just need to spread gasket maker on these and it should work just fine.

And I have a tentative spot for the throttle cable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 am 

Sealed the IACV, took the manifold off and did some cleaning.

Cleaned the turbo exhaust housing with a wirebrush. Then I decided to try and clean the block up a bit more. I just need some more dremel wire brushes for detailing a few areas, but got quite a bit done with what I have.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 am 

Wow, lots of stuff has happened and I haven't gotten it up on this forum! :shock:

Got the engine assembled and timing belt on.

Pulled my existing engine out, entire clutch soaked with oil due to a bad rear main seal.

NOW: before I go any further on catching this thread up, I need to elaborate on what changed from my original build thought. A buddy on NASIOC who also built an impreza wagon of the same generation was changing cars and parting his builld out. He gave me the rest of the parts I needed (and were a lot better than what I originally was going with).

So now the build has this basic setup:

EJ22 block stroked to 2.35l
EJ25 SOHC heads with Delta 1500s
EJ257 internals (rods and crank)
Wiseco pistons 9:1 Compression
TD-06 20G turbo with 18G compressor wheel
Spearco intercooler
Borla rep header wrapped and ported
AVO turbo kit uppipe also wrapped and ported
HKS 3" downpipe with bellmouth added
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Emanage blue with ignition and fuel upgrades
and a bunch of other goodies

Big turbo for a homebrew, I know. But it should work well with all the supporting modifications I have.

New turbo parts being fitted

Wiring has begun...

Oil drain

Extending a few harnesses for some sensors, they have different locations on this intake manifold

New clutch installed and engine is ready to go in

Engine is in... but the spearco doesn't want to fit.

Car is back on the ground after swapping in rear disc brakes. (huge nightmare, won't go into details)

Ok, so that is the basic idea of what has happened for the last few months. On to what is going on today.

got the motor almost completely plugged in, hoses routed ect.

Turbo is in!

Downpipe was cut in order to keep shipping price down. Its ok because I have to get the thing adjusted to fit my existing exhaust anyways. But I can't help but giggle at what this will sound like when I start it up.

So there we are, caught up again. I HOPE that I'll have this done before memorial weekend. We'll just see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 pm 

Got her running with some moderate reservations I guess. Then got exhaust welded up so its much quieter now than the open downpipe. But now I've got 2 concerns. 1, something is knocking pretty loudly in the engine and it doesn't go away when it warms up. I'm guessing/hoping that the lash is too loose, and Ken tells me to tighten them up to 6 and 8 thousandths, so I'll do that when the engine cools down I guess.

And 2, the oil pressure light keeps flickering at idle, turning on fully when it's at 600rpms. But bump the throttle and its fine. WTF? Should I be looking at a new oil pump? I'm heading to harbor freight anyways to get a brake bleeder and some other misc parts so maybe I ought to grab one of their cheap oil pressure gauges while I'm there, so I have a numeric reading instead of the light. Engine oil is really hot so that could be an issue. Any thoughts? If the pressure sensor is right and I'm way low on pressure, should I be looking at a new pump? I've checked time and again the oil levels and even did the rod knock test in case the worst happened when it didn't have oil, but thankfully nothing was found and oil was clear of any metal.

EDIT: Took pressure readings and they are in the tank. idle should be ~14 psi when warm. It is 5 psi. Cold should be 40ish at 1500 rpm, it is 25. So I'll be taking the pump off I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:50 am 

Video of oil:Image

Long story short: main bearings are shot, as is the crank. The oil pump bypass stuck open and starved the engine, wearing the bearings down and causing my low oil pressure and knocking.

I'm waiting to get a new crank and bearings and in the meantime I'm going through everything again and using all new seals in the block.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:49 pm 

Update: Bores are wore out too much for the pistons and are now tapered and ovalled. So I am now saving up for a set of Darton Sleeves and will have ductile iron sleeves to go with everything else, making this engine build complete. I figure that I can then safely push 400hp out of this engine with no real problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice build, always excited to watch and learn custom building rather than the bolt and go guys.
Keep up the good work !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:59 am 

Thanks. Only wish I had it running now instead of waiting to get an extra 1500 bucks to get the sleeves. Also I've pretty much decided on a PPG gearset for my upgraded transmission, which also runs 3-4k depending on how I get it done. Ah if only I had 5 grand that I can toss around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 pm 

Sleeving fell through however I located a fully built EJ22T stroker shortblock and it is now on its way here. It's possible that I'll have a running car for the winter :)